The Berdan Building in Toledo, OH was originally constructed in 1901-1902 for the Berdan company, which at its’ peak, was the largest wholesale grocer between New York and Chicago. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. The entire building is constructed of brick masonry walls, all of which are load bearing, as well as a wood framed interior. Having fallen into disuse in the 1970’s, the building fell into a state of disrepair until a redevelopment plan was recently approved.
RAM Construction Services was contracted by Buildtech Ltd. to undertake this historic restoration. One of the main challenges on this project was the sheer volume of work to be completed within one year. The work scope included the replacement of 12,000 brick and over 100,000 lineal feet of tuckpointing. In addition to the masonry repairs that were made, the building’s façade also had to be completely cleaned including the removal of 100 years of carbon staining on the common brick. After trying several methods to achieve a clean surface, we were successful using a low pressure/micro-abrasive cleaning technique (JOS System) to remove the staining without damage to the soft brick exterior. With the collaboration of RAM Construction Services and Owner, we achieved our goals and the project was a success.